Tips for Sticking to your Workout Routine
An important thing to remember is that you need to make your workout part of your routine so you will keep to it. We all struggle with motivation and getting on that machine sometimes. Here are some tips to help you stick to your workout routine:
- Pick a time of day when you know you'll be able to work out. If you're always tired when you come home from work, don't plan your workout then. It won't happen. Get up early in the morning.
- If you get bored after a few minutes on your machine, put it in a room with a TV or grab your iPad or a magazine to help pass the time.
- Make a plan and schedule your workout in your calendar like you would any activity you do (or your kids do). Stick to the schedule.
- If you haven't already, set a goal you can work towards. Then keep track of your progress every day or week as you work to hit that goal. Keeping a journal shows you how far you've come and motivates you to keep going.
- Switch it up - doing the same workout over and over might get boring. Try changing your workout or adding in elements. Add in intervals when you jog, grab some free weights or change the resistance.
- Tell a friend or your spouse about your workout plan. Get them to ask you about it. It will be a constant reminder, plus, you won't want to disappoint them by saying you didn't work out that day. Bonus points if they're working out too - you can keep each other accountable.