How to do Bench Press with a Barbell
This video will show you how to properly do a bench press with barbells. For more information on strength training, check out our Strength articles.
Please read these health and safety precautions before starting any exercise.
This exercise targets these muscles:
- Major - Chest or "Pecs"
- Minor – Shoulders and Triceps
- Barbell with weights
- Olympic Weight bench
See below for more information, including modifications.
Videography by: Twisted Pair Productions
Be sure to check out our other videos for more exercises like a bench press with dumbbells and other strength workouts.
Trainers: Clint Pratch and Brad Provick
How to do a bench press with barbells:
- Lay flat on the bench
- Feet can either be firmly on floor or on the end of the bench
- Palms of hands facing towards your feet
- Grip should have hands slightly wider than shoulder-width (weights should just touch your chest)
- Lower weight slowly in a controlled manner (2-seconds), while breathing in
- Stop when bar lightly touches bottom of chest muscles - your arm and forearms will be creating a 90o angle
- Push weight straight up from chest in a controlled manner (2-seconds), while breathing out, keep back flat and touching bench, focus on squeezing chest muscles together
- Pause at top (1-second) with arms locked in place
At Flaman Fitness, we want to help you reach your goals and today’s the day you can start. For more videos like this, subscribe to our YouTube channel or check out the other videos on this site.